Friday, September 5, 2008
I found occasion to use my serger, again. I'm trying to use it as much as possible because I've heard that if you use it alot in the first month you'll teach yourself to always think of how you can use it on projects that don't call for overlock but that could be improved with overlock.
My dining room really needed something to bring down its scale. I know that sounds weird... but it's a tall room with an enormous table and an enormous hutch in it. Every time I went in there I felt like the place echoed. Now, that being said, it's not a huge room, really. It was just tall and narrow. So, thought fabric might help.
I zipped these up (I have more to make when JoAnn's delivers my special order of 15 more yards) very quickly. It's a gauzy linen with black embroidery embellishment from the Tommy Bahama line (got it for 40 percent off with coupon). I used overlock to finish the top and bottom ends of each swath of fabric. Then I used blind hem to finish the sides. Then I used curtain pleater tape and drapery hooks to create the pinch pleats. This was a pretty simple process and very quick. I used blind hem, again, to finish up the bottom hem.