Monday, March 8, 2010

Book Review: Design-It-Yourself

My confidence in making patterns has been growing and growing. So I decided to see just how good I was. Turns out, I might not be. Unless you're a crib, a bed, a window, or shaped like one of the aforementioned.

If you're curious about where you fall on the pattern-making scale, check out Cal Patch's Design-It-Yourself Clothes. Supposedly it is "patternmaking simplified". This book is one to buy and one to place on a nice shelf within reach of your dressform. I'm not even kidding.

The clothes featured are a bit sackish and not even my style. But the resources and tutorials on how to do such mysterious things as folding darts and adjusting yokes. Worth buying. Worth keeping. Take the plunge. Even if you have no plans to design your own line, this will help you adjust the patterns you buy at your local fabric store.

No comments: