Monday, March 1, 2010

Book Review: Sew Liberated

I know you've seen Meg McElwee's book on shelves. It's the fun and much talked about, SEW liberated. As it self proclaims it has 20 projects that are meant to be stylish and not church-bazaar-ish. I finally had a chance to read through and scour the pictures. It's made for some thoughtful planning on my end and some project list building that will keep me busy well into next fall.

I would describe this book as a resource for the beginning sewing enthusiast who is looking for cool things to make while practicing all-important skills. On a whole the projects are fun and McElwee's whimsical sense of style is evident in her fabric choices and pattern flourishes.

The Teacup Corset Apron pattern is darling -- even if it smacks of Simplicity 2932. And while I'm a big fan of the looks of the Blossom Blouse, it is a straight up a rip off of Simplicity 3835. Repeat sentiments of the Petit Artiste Smock. I'm just saying...

Most original project is the camera bag. Namely because I can't imagine doing that for myself. But, now that I think about it, it's a great idea. (Nothing says, "steal me" like my gigantic Canon gear bag.)

Finally, if you want to make things easier on yourself... and you're thinking of making a little chef's hat, please buy Simplicity 3650. Lest you think this is a Simplicity ad, it's not. I'm just thinking that when a Simplicity pattern is on sale for 99-cents, you should pick it up, and just check this book out from the library for use as good fabric choice ideas.

1 comment:

Katlyn said...

That's one of the blogs I follow =)