Sunday, July 13, 2008

Strawberry Bread, Always in Season


Partly because I'm tired of banana bread and partly because I'm trying to eat less of them (seeing as how they are shipped from sooooo far away) I opted for Strawberry Bread this week. I like it, it's moist, and the boys gobbled it up. That being said, it doesn't last as long as banana bread and I prefer the texture of my stand-by banana bread recipe. But here's one to try if you have a bunch of strawberries on hand in the coming weeks (they are coming into season I suppose).

Strawberry Bread as published in Always in Season by the Junior League of Salt Lake City, Utah

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries (the smaller the slice the less mushy the bread will be)

Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add the eggs, oil, and strawberries; mix just until moistened.

Spoon into 2 greased and floured (I actually didn't flour mine and they came out fine) loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool in the pans for several minutes; remove to wire racks until cool completely.

No comments: