Saturday, September 12, 2009

Real Men Cook

I just finished four chef sets for auction at a school fundraiser. (Auctions make me nervous, what if no one bids!?!??!) Before I sent the four little sets away I asked the boys to show them off.

The aprons are very high quality home dec weight "homespun" that resemble gingham. The hats are trouser weight poplin. I made my bias trim, as always, and I used a fairly heavy cotton. The result was that all the corners and stitches laid really flat and I love them.

This is an apron pattern I whipped up on my own (though you really can't take credit for something this simple) and the chef hat is from Simplicity 3650. I have used the pattern many times, but only for the chef's hat. Some day I'll branch out and make the cowgirl outfit... I hope.

I employed my cover stitch (on the serger) liberally on this project. I'm so pleased with the results. It sped things up from a production stand point and I like the finish on the hat -- see the picture. I also used my ruffler foot to create the gather in the hat this time. In the past I've just gathered it by hand. I LOVE my ruffler. Use it every chance I get, now.

Stay tuned because I finished Cooper's Halloween costume. It's a riot. I just need to photograph him in it. Also, up to my neck in another project, also for Halloween. Hot pink jacquard. That's all I'm saying.


kirsten said...

i LOVE these! Especially the hats. I wanted to make my daughter a chef's hat last year for Christmas.... and still haven't.

SunnyInspiration said...

Those are just too darn cute!