Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's Here: I LOVE IT


Modernjax, the sweet gal who had to sew for me in the Four Season Quilt Swap, sent me such a cute quilt that I'm going to have to find a way to "budget" my time and participate in this swap, again. Seriously, it is so cute it brought me back from the brink of breakup with the swap. (More on this later.)
So, aside from the cute quilt Modernjax sent me sweets, ornaments, and fun playstuff for my kids.
More on the sweets: She called them buckeyes but they were like crack. I popped them into my mouth, one after another, after another, tried to fight off my kids for the last one! Ridiculous. The quilt is just great. I love the tree, the fabric, the design, the craftsmanship, the mix of techniques.
More on the fabric: I have a few thoughts.
1. I applaud anyone who can make a fabric like the background fabric that she used work. It starts out dark and gets lighter. It MAKES the quilt. I'm not kidding. People, dare to do this. It makes a huge difference.
2. The binding fabric is light and beautiful and makes me think of sugar cookies. So precious and sweet and tames the funky shapes of the modern styling and the bold prints used in lime green.
3. And before I forget to mention it, the really brilliant part of this quilt was the quilting. She used both silver and red thread to outline stars/snowflakes and gifts (under the tree). I know what you're thinking... not a big deal... but the gifts under the tree were actually squares of fabric on the back of the quilt. This allowed the designer to work in the label as one of the packages. So fantastic. I love this idea for labels, because frankly a lot of labels give me the heebeejeebees (is that a word?!?!?!).
Now let's talk about the swap and my breakup thoughts:
I am facing a seriously busy spring. I was worried that I just couldn't devote the time to make a little quilt. So, I was just going to quit. Plus, it's not the quilt, or the size, or the system that intimidates me. It's the stress of pleasing someone out there that I've never met. I stew and stew and stew about it. But NOW with my cute little quilt in hand I'm reminded of how fun it is to get a quilt that someone -- whom you have never met -- made for you.
Also, the real reason I signed up for this swap (twice, now) was to learn something. That I have done. Both of the quilters who have sent me quilts have introduced me to ideas and techniques I would have otherwise never seen. And so, maybe I'll rethink my breakup and jump back in for Spring, too. IF Spring will ever get here. Have I mentioned that I AM BREAKING UP WITH WINTER?!?!?!?!?
In closing, Thanks Modernjax. You are a true sweetheart and really made my day/week/month.

3 comments:

Elle said...

Your enthusiasm is contagious!

Glenda said...

This quilt or should I say wall hanging is so cute I can't stand it. Can't wait to see it in person.

Beth said...

Oh, I am so glad you like it! I know exactly what you mean about the angst of making something for someone you don't know. "Will she like it? Will is be up to her standards? Am I a complete quilting idiot?" I went through all of that while creating this baby!

The buckeyes were a bribe just in case you didn't like the quilt. I posted a recipe (those I sent you were store bought) if you want to make your own. Warning: it yields a ton and you will eat them all!