Sunday, December 30, 2007

Book Review: Bend-the-Rules Sewing, the essential guide to a whole new way to sew, Amy Karol

For the seasoned seamstress, you'll look through this book and literally say to yourself, "Is this book written for kids?" Even I -- with my limited experience -- felt I could find patterns that did it better, or figure out how to do the same project without a pattern. Perhaps this is because I come from a family of both very fine seamstresses who follow the pattern to a T and some who, well... bend the rules. I have a nice balance of appreciating both, I think. This bent a few too many rules for me. But it is the first book in which I got a clear description of how to make my own bias tape. And I will. I'm also considering 3 other projects from this book. But only if I can't find better patterns for them (a zippered pouch, a wallet, and a pleated handbag). By: Amy Karol.

No comments: