Sunday, January 6, 2008

Winter Goddess: Four Seasons Quilt Swap

This is my winter installment for the Four Seasons Quilt Swap. I can't speak too much about why I came to this design, yet. But it has a lot to do with the swap partner. The pattern is original, and so is the fabric. It measures about 17" by 20". Which might be a little outside the swaps guidelines but the fabric was speaking to me
The trees were first snipped out of black fabric. A little like cutting a paper snowflake -- nightmare. Then I satin stitched them down. The quilting pattern is meant to resemble winds and the way in which they blow new seasons, spirits, fairies, whatever, into our lives.
I've yet to finish the label. The swap label requirements are HUGE. So, I'm working on making it as small as possible while still meeting all the requirements. I'll place it directly over the blue stripe on back. The title of the quilt is Winter Goddess, I think. If something else strikes my fancy, might change it. Must sew all night to get that label done, want to get it in the mail tomorrow.
Cheers.
PS -- if anyone out there from the swap is lurking... I'm including a note with the quilt explaining the inspirations. So, if it's yours, you'll know why. Or perhaps you already do...

1 comment:

Adamo said...

WOW Julia--you are so talented! Just looking at all the cool stuff you make makes me what to get into sewing, etc. I LOVE the quilt! (this is Claudia here, using Adam's log-in)