Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Knits! I Sewed a Knit Cardi!

So, there are a few things that frighten me. Spiders in my fabric stash, and sewing knits. But now, I'm over the latter fear. I'm forging ahead into a whole new world of sewing knits. Here's my first attempt.


I cheated a little bit. The knit I chose was a bit sturdier. It was a little bit like the thick polyester pants with the perma-crease for which women of a certain generation have an affinity. I like it. It was a remnant, so spent less than $3 on materials. $3! Of course I spent more than that on the brooch -- which are THE hardest accessory to find. And much more on the riding boots that will finish the look.

I have a tall pile of slinkier knits to try and another pattern I want to tackle. This pattern is Simplicity 2560, version D. I recommend it. Of course it was easy to follow. Granted, I didn't try any of the fancy gathered sleeve styles that are also featured (soon, I promise) but I can't imagine it gets that complicated.

In choosing another pattern to try, I visited Philigry's blog. She had sewn a cardi a while ago that I thought was darling. In fact, you could say it was the needle in the pincushion that spurred me toward trying knits. She used McCall's 5241. But when I researched 5241 on Pattern Review I found that most reviewers recommended Simplicity 2603 instead. Because Simplicity is on sale for .99 at JoAnn's this week, I decided my next attempt will be a cloister brown knit with a thin white stripe in 2603. Wish me luck.

Before I get too excited about my next project, let me tell you a few details about this one. I have a serger so I was able to use cover stitch (narrow) on the hem, the neck hem, and the sleeves. I used a basic overlock for all the other construction seams. It took only a few hours to whip together. May I recommend you have very sharp scissors to cut knits?!?!?!

This pattern would be easily altered. In fact, I think the collar could be switched up to create a double-breasted and buttoned front. Likewise, could be longer -- but I think this about everything because I'm tallish.

PS -- Does anyone else out there thing that some of today's styles are quite Star Wars-ish?

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I LOVE it!

Katlyn said...

Wow love it! I want one!!

Philigry said...

i love that one! i am going to have to try it next!! great job.

SunnyInspiration said...

That is beautiful! I'm impressed. You made that!! :)

Claudia said...

Wow--that is so pretty. You are truly amazing!